Top 5 Time Tracking Software Packages
Employees’ time is a valuable resource for companies. In most organizations, the workforce is the biggest expense, so businesses need to be sure they’re getting the most out of what they’re paying for. That means they need to collect accurate time and attendance data.
Using an outdated manual process can lead to several inaccuracies, ranging from simple data entry mistakes to serious employee dishonesty. Automated time and attendance systems also help companies reducing administrative costs and giving management better tools to use for setting schedules, enforcing company attendance policies and other tasks.
When looking to replace their paper time sheets with an automated system, businesses have many options. The first choice to make is among the different methods of collecting time data from employees.
Data can be collected in a few ways:
- Swipe cards, barcode scanners, and individual codes – Each employee is issued a card with a magnetic strip or barcode, or given their own PIN or password. Employees clock in and out by scanning or swiping their cards or entering their codes.
- Biometric scanners – For increased security and accuracy, some companies use biometric scanners that read an employee’s fingerprint.
- PC-based systems – When employees work primarily with computers, time and attendance software can begin tracking employees’ hours when they start using their PCs.
Which method is best? That depends on the company’s workforce and particular security needs. Some organizations get the most value by combining methods to meet different departments’ needs.
Many systems also have additional advanced features, so companies will need to decide what they need the system to do.
Among the many systems out there, here are the top five choices we recommend companies consider:
- Kronos – Kronos offers a wide range range of workforce management solutions, including an automated time and attendance tracking system. The system offers multiple data collection options, including a standard badge scanner, a biometric fingerprint reader, and an application for mobile devices to collect data from remote workers.
For more information, read our Kronos Review.
- ADI Time – With options for organizations of all sizes, including small and mid-sized businesses and divisions of larger enterprises, ADI offers a software-as-a-service (SaaS) time tracking solution. Rather than making a big upfront software purchase, businesses can instead pay a monthly subscription fee and avoid the need for on-site IT support. The system gives companies the tools needed to make their time tracking more efficient, reduce labor costs, minimize compliance risks, and eliminate payroll errors.
For more information, read our ADI Time Review.
- SwipeClock – A simple, affordable time tracking solution for small and mid-sized businesses, SwipeClock emphasizes ease-of-use and convenience. The system is hosted online, so there’s no need to purchase and install software. SwipeClock offers an automated time and attendance system that businesses can get up and running immediately, utilizing “plug and play” hardware – simply plug a timeclock into the organization’s network, and the system is ready to use. Supported data collection methods include swipe cards, biometric readers, PIN numbers, and PC-based timeclocks.
For more information, read our SwipeClock Review.
- Ultimate Software UltiPro – UltiPro is not just a time tracking solution, but an end-to-end human capital management portal, encompassing time and attendance tracking as well as recruiting, performance management, payroll, compensation planning, and learning and career development. The time and attendance portion allows organizations to eliminate the manual tasks involved with processing time data, as well as reduce payroll errors, enforce company policies, and minimize compliance risks. Integrating time tracking with the rest of UltiPro’s features makes it easy to data collected by the time and attendance system for other tasks, such as payroll processing, scheduling, and compensation planning.
For more information, read our Ultimate Software UltiPro Review.
- DOVICO Timesheet – DOVICO Timesheet is not just designed to automatically track the hours employees work – it’s also built to help organizations made better decisions and boost the bottom line. The system tracks not only hours, but also employees’ projects, so managers can get easy insight into how work is coming along and make sure tasks are being efficiently distributed.
For more information, read our DOVICO Timesheet Review.